age | e

in front of you in line alphabetically since 2006

Monday, April 16, 2007

in memoriam

About this time last year I taught a student the English euphemism "the great thingamajig in the sky." You know, when someone or something passes away, often we'll say that it's gone up in the sky, as when a plumber dies ("He's gone to that big waterworks in the sky") or a dog ("He caught the big frisbee in the sky") or a joke ("It wasn't funny the first time, Joel").

This post is to inform you that Honza the Hamster, my beloved pet who joined my life 2 1/2 years ago in Sokolov, has recently started running in that big hamster ball in the sky. Honza was beloved by all who met him (with the notable exception of Aaron Williams, who was, admittedly, nice to him anyway). He was an international hamster whose travels took him all around Central Europe, including Ostrava, Berlin, HodonĂ­n, Krakow and Bratislava. He loved bringing people together and then pooping on them. He was laid to rest under a blossoming cherry tree close to his home in Prague.

He is survived by other ESI pets, especially Hezky the Cat and Benji the Dog.

9 Comments:

Blogger James David said...

Sigh...I never did have the opportunity to be graced by Honzas presence but I'm sure he'll be missed by you and others.

May that cherry tree blossom bountifully before bedtime (and of course for many moons to come).

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry. But I am pretty sure he is doing pretty well now ;)

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not even a call to the grandparents? He will be mourned.
His cousins Zoe and Isabel also Aunt Oren Peasley, the cats, did so want to eat,woops,meet him.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I am so sorry I never got to meet my nepfew. I am so sorry for your loss.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, I must admit I'm disappointed to hear this news via blog. It is sad news, but he was a good hampster. I have many a good memory of the little guy. He led a great life... and was even VP. Thanks for taking care of him for so many... years, er, months. Ahoj, Honzik.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, I can hardly believe it! What a shame.....I will truely be grieving right along with the rest.... ;+(

11:37 PM  
Blogger The Dorrs said...

Ahoj, Honza.

Thanks for the memories.

Beka

10:14 AM  
Blogger James said...

By the way, do you have a Skype account? on another note, I've been tempted to distinguish my Blogger screen name from Mr. Pierce's, but I figure the content is enough of a distinction.

11:42 PM  
Blogger James said...

Killing your hamster is a brutal object lesson for an English class. There are easier ways to teach euphemisms! But your blog is safe with me; I won't inform PETA

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home