age | e

in front of you in line alphabetically since 2006

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Stromeček

This week Joel and I bought a Christmas tree, or stromeček, as the Czechs like to say.

Joel predicted it would be at least a two hour job and I didn't believe him.

I was wrong.

Buying the tree wasn't all that difficult. Joel whipped out his Czech skills and managed to communicate what kind of tree we wanted and that we needed a stand as well. So far, so good.

Challenge #1: getting the tree into our flat. Our elevator fits two people- and that's two people squished in together- so there was no way our tree, Joel, and me were going to get in the elevator. Joel, being the gentleman that he is, carried the tree up five flights of stairs to our flat, while I took the elevator up and opened the door and cleared a path for the tree to be brought in the flat.

Challenge #2: sawing off the end of the tree's trunk. We discovered an old, rusted saw in our hall closet and Joel went to work. After 10 minutes of sawing with no results, Joel asked me to bring him a hammer. There's pictures below of Joel using the saw and hammer.

Finally, after about an hour of grunt work, Joel cut the trunk of the tree off and got the tree into the stand!! And now we have a beautiful stromeček in our living room. We're putting lights and ornaments on tonight for the bible study we're hosting. So, I'll post a picture of the completed tree later :)






6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel, I really like the pictures. Oooops.... They remind me that I should buy Vánoční stromeček, too. I have not bought it yet.....

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those trips to Foresthill were helpful. I've always told you, "Just act like you know what you're doing and no one will be the wiser." Right? Good Job

6:20 PM  
Blogger James said...

So Chrissy, when are you having your first son? I'm sure Joel will be able to teach him how to do all of that by the time he's two, then the both of you can ride up the elevator together whilst waiting for James Agee to bring up the tree. ;-)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Son said...

James Agee...that's my dad's name.

1:57 AM  
Blogger James said...

Yeah, I realized that after I wrote it. But it was wishful thinking I suppose. Maybe his middle name could be James...

11:42 PM  
Blogger Alexander said...

Please, read "An Ordinary Black Cat" (www.catyourway.com) it will be your favourite book by far and you will quote from that book in almost every conversation.

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home