age | e

in front of you in line alphabetically since 2006

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

nazdááár

So my colleague and officemate Alena gave me some great advice yesterday. She had noticed my cell phone sitting on my desk while I was grading papers and had seen that I'd written "Ahojky" as a greeting on the main screen.

When I wrote Ahojky there last year, I took it to be a cute way of saying "Hi there!" in Czech. Well, she said, yes. But it's also associated (by stereotype) with ditzy teenage girls and homosexual men.

So yesterday I changed my greeting to "Nazdááár," which is a significantly more macho way of saying "Hi there!"

Perhaps I'm compensating. The jury is out.

Joel

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joel: I really do not think so. As a teenage girl (okay, adult teenage girl) - I use "Ahojky" as a cute way to say "Hi" in Czech. I do not like and use "Nazdar" (especialy nazdáááár)because it is also used when you meet someone who you definitely would not like to meet or when you say "good bye" as "Ok, bye and I do not want to see you again." Yes, "Nazdar" also means "Hi" but it depends on how do you say that (It depends on your voice). When you say it nicely - it is the same as to say "Hello".
I do not think "Ahojky" is too asoociated with spoilt teenage girls or homosexuals. I use it sometimes when I meet my old friend (I am not homosexual and I do not think I am spoilt.)Plus, I know homosexual who does not use it at all. :)

I think you may use both. You may use "Ahojky" and "Nazdáár". Nothing will happen:)
Hope you are doing well.
Danielle

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, "Nazdaaar" to you too. Be sure and tear a piece of that old turkey off with your bare hands and celebrate tomarrow.

11:04 AM  
Blogger James said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:13 PM  
Blogger James said...

Joel, whatever your decided orientation, know that I'll always love you.

PS - Mario Party 8 in 2007. I think so.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Son said...

Daniela:

I suppose I was trying to sound like a typical Czech sportsman.

Ahojky,
Joel

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes,definetely yes:)
only homosexuals and pubespence girls use this world...:)

Matthew

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home