age | e

in front of you in line alphabetically since 2006

Monday, March 31, 2008

when bruises make you cool

This past weekend Chrissy and I went up the hill on a junior high group snow trip with the church. We're in a small group with the couple that leads the group, and they needed some extra hands/eyes/older persons to help keep things on the up and up with about 25 or so junior highers. So that meant us. After a day of remembering how to/teaching kids to snowboard, another day of playing and tubing in the snow, a couple devotions, some stupid human tricks, etc., we're pretty sore and tuckered out, but we had a great time, let me tell you.
  • We mediated radio station battles on the way up, mostly involving the pros and cons of the All-Disney station. Never in my life did I expect kids to be in a debate between AM and FM bands and have them all choose AM radio.
  • I helped build the coolest snow fort I've ever seen---and all I did was dig where I was told. Seriously, it was six feet of snowball protection from trench bottom to wall top. Add in an actual tunnel, an ammunition closet and a staircase, and you'll know what I mean. And that was just the guys' fort. The girls had a twenty-foot long trench, complete with ergonomic snow seats. A World War I general would be proud.
  • Those forts were later part of the most epic snowball fight I've been part of for as far back as I can remember. The only hitch came about halfway through, when one of the kids accidentally broke the "no snowballs above the shoulders" rule and clocked me with a direct hit to the forehead. It smarted a bit, but it was the open-mouthed looks I got that told me it was more serious than it felt. Needless to say, the band-aid on my forehead has had me tell the story many times in the past two days.
  • Chrissy won the group over when the plastic sled she was riding slid her directly into a tree. It was one of those crashes that you just knew wasn't a good one. You should see the tape. But fortunately the sled made most of the noise, and she walked away from it with "just" a hefty bruise on her leg. But the way the junior highers tell it, the sled might as well have deployed air bags.
  • What else? It was camp! There was spaghetti, worship songs, arguments about pool tables, pre-teen flirting, glow-in-the-dark football, criminal background checks, a one-upping water-balancing competition, and surprisingly good coffee.
We had a great time. It'll take us all week to recover.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zach Barnes said...

sounds like all is going well on the home front. you know that you could transfer to the starbucks in Mala Strana or in one of the 2 in Palladium. I hear they're planning on building a dome around Prague and renaming it Starbucks... mayor is up for grabs

5:48 AM  
Blogger Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I am glad the trip went well. Sorry about Chrissy's accident. I guess she can chalk it up as another battle wound for the Lord's work.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Kyle Ray said...

Joel and Chrissy, you guys are awesome.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home